Friday, June 17, 2005

Smile!

1 Thessalonians 5:16 - Be joyful always.

This verse gripped my heart as Ate Sandra shared this at our leadership meeting. She's a missionary to one of God's Creative Access Nations (I love that term!), with her husband and kids, and has been serving that nation for...10 years? Hehe! Not really, but sometimes it feels that long especially when you’re far away from home.

Anyway, we talked about how we can be a blessing to others. And this was one of the three keys she shared with us - Be joyful always.

'Joy is the secret to real evangelism, for joyful Christians are compelling advertisement for the gospel.'

This is not only joy on the inside but on the outside as well. Something that can be seen and not only felt. The best expression is smiling. And Ate Sandra went at great lengths explaining its importance.

People are naturally drawn to happy individuals. Of course! Why would you want to be with unhappy ones? Unless you are that miserable! And even so, you would still want to be with the cheerful ones to brighten your mood. There’s something about a happy face you can’t quite dispel.

Part of the appeal of the gospel is our attitude towards it. We have the truth, the good news, and we ought to communicate it that way – GOOD NEWS. More than the words we speak, the way we live our life is our best strategy to share what God has done in and through our life and what God can possibly do in and through the life of another. The people we reach out to must know, see and feel that change. Otherwise, they will think twice about putting their faith in God. They must be fully convinced before they take that leap of faith. And what would convince them is the evidence of a changed life.

According to Ate Sandra, the missionaries who come to their nation are required to SMILE. The locals are beset with so much misery they don’t need foreigners adding up to it, missionaries at that. The people who are supposed to give them hope, etc. You’ll never know what that simple gesture might accomplish in another person’s life. You just have to step out in faith, let God do the work, and SMILE!

I’ve known this truth for a long time but something in the way she said these caught my attention and made me evaluate my life that very instant. And one thought entered my mind: MATARAY!

I’ve confessed that of myself many times. I even wrote it at my friendster profile. I don’t deny it and sometimes I really am. But most of the time, hindi naman. I asked one friend why he thought I’m mataray and he told me it’s because of the way I stare. Nakakatakot daw. I don’t know. I’m just like that. I know I’m observant and I do study details and not just look. So maybe, when I stare, people get uncomfortable because I probe deeper than what the eye sees.


I’ve known people who tell me they’d think twice about approaching me. Why?! Nakakatakot nga daw ako. Sigh. But when they get to know me, that first impression doesn’t last very long.

But I don’t want it to be like that. I want that when people look at me the very first time, they’d feel comfortable approaching me, they will be attracted to Jesus because of what they see in me and they’d say “I want to be like her and be used for the glory of God too!” I’m sure glad people’s perception of me changes when they get to know me but oftentimes I am not given that opportunity – to get to know another person deeply. And so I’m left to wonder what kind of impression I made without the comfort of having to turn that impression the other way around. Sigh.

The other part of what Ate Sandra shared dealt with passion. She shared that what the world needs are people who come alive. Have you asked yourself what is that one thing that makes you come alive? What are you passionate about?

Answers to these questions vary. But it’s comforting to know that God created variety. It makes the world more colorful and interesting though it’s always a delight to find people who share your passion.

If you’ve found that very thing that makes you come alive, whatever that is, pursue it with all your might. That is what God has called you to do, what He has destined for you. Whatever that is and wherever you may be, pursuing it will definitely fill you with joy and make you come alive!

Some people I’m privileged to know certainly burst with life. Not only because they are extroverts, but because there really is LIFE in them. A life given by and lived for God. They are always cheerful, joyful, happy – however you may want to describe a positive mood, because they have every reason to be. Whatever their circumstance may be, that smile is forever painted on their lips. When I think about this kind of people, I can think of one man, the ultimate smiler-man:

And those of you who know him need not ask why. It’s the face that can launch a thousand laughs. Hehe!

Finally, let’s not use our personality (intro- or extrovert) to not be a blessing to others. What does a smile cost you? Nothing. But it could give you more than you can ever imagine.


No comments: