Monday, May 16, 2005

I bid my brother goodbye, kissed him and left the airport. It's still early but I didn't want to go home, though I'm sleepy and tired. Baka mamayang gabi na ako magising! I asked my cousin to drop me off at Katipunan.

I've found great use of my time: a date with GOD! I headed for the Sunken Garden at UPD. On my way there, I saw a lot of people jogging/running. I don't know what the event was but there are lots of people on the street, young and old, all drenched with sweat. It was too noisy at the Sunken Garden so I headed for the Lagoon.

After walking around for quite a time, I found the perfect place just a few meters from the Lagoon. I laid my newspaper, removed my sandals, sat on the ground and breathed deeply. My spot was perfectly shaded by tall trees. Birds chirped loudly as if welcoming me to their haven. As I looked up, I could see cloudless skies. A glimpse of heaven! I closed my eyes and savored every moment. I surely miss such times as this!

When I opened my eyes, the warmth of the sun greeted my face. Oh no! Ayoko ng mainit! I scrambled for my things when suddenly a gentle breeze comforted me. Oh, okay, I'm staying. (",)

And so I settled, took my Bible and started reading Ecclesiastes, my reading for the day.
'There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven' ...'So I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work, because that is his lot. For who can bring him to see what will happen after him?'

Is this you speaking, Lord? Does this mean...strike one?

'He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.'

Hmmmm....strike two.

'Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. Always be clothed in white, and always anoint your head with oil. Enjoy life with your wife (or husband to be as I'm not yet married), whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun - all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.’

Okay, strike three. I got it.

I closed my Bible and reflected on God’s Word. My mind knows what to do but my heart is not willing to obey. Stubborn me! I opened my Bible again. Perhaps I’m hearing wrongly.

‘Banish anxiety from your heart and cast off the troubles of your body.’

I blinked. This couldn’t be you Lord, could it? I read on…

‘Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.’

That’s it! No more arguing, no more buts, no more what ifs. Yield Riz!!! My mind yelled but my heart is still unwilling to yield. Why do I find it hard to let go? Why not, God?

I laid on my back and gazed at the serenity around me. It brought peace to my heart, if only momentarily. A bird caught my attention and I heard God whisper: ‘see that bird? I take care of it. How much more would I take care of you? Leave it up to me, my child.’ I almost cried.

The alarm on my phone went off. I have to leave God. Thank you for this time. I packed my stuff, put on my sandals and headed to FC for the morning service. On my way, I passed by a canal (whatever that is!) and the water caught my attention. Aba! Humihirit!

I remembered what Sky shared before. In a river, you never step on the same water because it constantly flows. Something like that. I forgot where he related that to.

I noticed the water followed a certain path towards the lagoon. If there is a big rock, it turned. If there is a pile of garbage, it turned. But I also noticed that it flowed through the hindrance (rock or dried leaves). And when it did so, that hindrance, in this case the rock, becomes smoother. Changed by the water? Maybe. So God, what does this have to do with me?

‘I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws. I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord; do not let me be put to shame. I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. Teach me, O Lord, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart. Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight.’

Sigh. I surrender.

No comments: